Official Gazette dated 07/01/2015, numbered 29229
BYLAW OF ANKARA UNIVERSITY RESEARCH CENTER OF THE SEA AND MARITIME LAW
Aim, Scope, Basis and Definitions
ARTICLE 1 – (1) The purpose of this Bylaw; is to set forth the procedures and principles regarding the aims, activity areas, administrative bodies, duties and working methods of the administrative bodies of the Research Center of the Sea and Maritime Law of Ankara University.
ARTICLE 2 – (1) This Bylaw covers the rules regarding the aims, activities, administrative bodies, duties and working methods of the administrative bodies of the Research Center of the Sea and Maritime Law of Ankara University.
ARTICLE 3 –(1) This Bylaw has been drafted on the basis of Articles 7(1)(d)(2) and 14 of the Higher Education Act dated 4 November 1981 and numbered 2547.
ARTICLE 4 – (1) For the purposes of this Bylaw;
a) Advisory Board means the Center’s Advisory Board,
b) Center means the Research Center of the Sea and Maritime Law of Ankara University (DEHUKAM);
c) Director means the Director of the Center,
ç) Rector means the Rector of Ankara University,
d) University means Ankara University,
e) Administrative Board means the Board of Directors of the Center.
Aim and Activity Areas of the Center
The Aim of the Center
ARTICLE 5 – (1) The aim of the Center is to conduct scientific research in the field of the sea and maritime law and policy, train personnel in this field, contribute to the development of the Turkish sea and maritime law and policy by cooperating with related public institutions and organizations as well as real and legal persons, and to direct the Turkish domestic and foreign sea and maritime policy.
Activity Areas of the Center
ARTICLE 6 – (1) Activity areas of the Center shall be the followings:
a) To conduct scientific research in the field of the sea and maritime law and policy,
b) To undertake studies to encourage researchers providing services in the field of the sea and maritime law and policy,
c) To cooperate with domestic and foreign universities, institutes, centers and other related institutions in the field of the sea and maritime law and policy,
ç) To establish a specialist library by collecting scientific publications on the sea and maritime law and policy,
d) To organize national and international seminars, symposiums, conferences, workshops and similar meetings on the sea and maritime law and policy,
e) To support persons involved in conducting research on the sea and maritime law and policy,
f) To provide consultancy services to maritime public institutions as well as maritime natural and legal persons in maritime law and policy,
Administrative Bodies and Duties of the Center
Administrative Bodies of the Center
ARTICLE 7 – (1) The administrative bodies of the Center shall be as follows:
b) Administrative Board,
c) Advisory Board.
ARTICLE 8 – (1) (As amended by: OG 17/03/2019-30717) The Director shall be appointed by the Rector for a period of two years from among the members of the law faculty of the University. The Director, whose term of office ends may be reappointed by the same method.
(2) (As amended by: RG 17/03/2019-30717) The Director, shall submit for the Rector’s approval, the appointment of two persons from among the University academic staff as Deputy Directors. Deputy Directors shall perform their duties or functions until the Director’s term of office ends. Deputy Directors shall attend Administrative Board meetings without the right to vote.
Duties of the Director
ARTICLE 9 – (1) Duties of the Director shall be as follows:
a) To represent the Center,
b) To chair the Administrative Board and the Advisory Board,
c) To implement the decisions of the Administrative Board,
ç) At the end of each year, to report the activities of the Center to the Rector,
d) To present the budget proposal prepared by the Administrative Board to the Rector,
e) To convene the ordinary and extraordinary meetings of the Administrative and Advisory Board, where necessary.
ARTICLE 10 – (1) (As amended by: OG 17/12/2017-30273). The Administrative Board, which shall consist of five members including the Director and four other members appointed by the Rector from among the University academic staff.
(2) The term of office of the members of the Administrative Board shall be two years. A new member shall be appointed to complete the term of office of a member who resigns before the end of his/her term. The members whose terms of office have expired may be reappointed for a further term of two years.
(3) The Administrative Board shall meet once in every three months under the Chairmanship of the Director. Where necessary, the Administrative Board may extraordinarily meet more frequently with the Director’s invitation. The Administrative Board meetings shall be convened by a simple majority of all the members, and the decisions shall be taken by a majority of votes.
Duties of the Administrative Board
ARTICLE 11 – (1) The duties of the Administrative Board shall be as follows:
a) To prepare the Center’s research, implementation and training program and work plan and to make decisions on related issues,
b) To prepare the budget proposal for the following year.
Advisory Board and Its Duties
ARTICLE 12 – (1) (As amended by: OG17/12/2017-30273) The Advisory Board, to be chaired by the Director, shall consist of at least five members with expertise and experience in the sea and maritime law and policy. The members of the Advisory Board shall be appointed by the Rector for two years on the proposal of the Director. The members for the Advisory Board may also be selected from outside the University or abroad. Also, with the Director’s proposal, the Rector can request that members from state institutions, organizations and private legal entities may be appointed to the Advisory Board for two years. In this context, a representative or representatives of legal entities to the Advisory Board meetings shall be determined by relevant legal entities.
(2) The Advisory Board shall meet on a date fixed by the Director, where found necessary by the Administrative Board. A quorum shall not be required for a meeting.
(3) The Advisory Board shall make proposals and contributions to the Center’s work.
ARTICLE 13 – (1) This Bylaw shall enter into force on the date of its publication.
ARTICLE 14 – (1) The provisions of this Bylaw shall be enforced by the Rector of Ankara University.